900g Cooking Apples
450g Desert Apples
250g Red Onion
225g Cider Vinegar
225g Dark Muscovado Sugar
1tsp Mixed Spice
1tsp Freshly Ground Ginger
1tsb Sea Salt
1. Pour the cider vinegar into a pot and add the sugar. Mix it to break up the sugar.
2. Peel, core and dice the apples. The cooking apples will break down completely but the desert apples will stay the size you dice them. As you finish each apple add it to the vinegar and sugar mix and stir to prevent the oxydation of the apples.
3. Dice the red onion and add to the pot
4. Dice the figs to about the same size as the desert apples
5. Add the sultanas whole
6. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix it all well
7. Bring the mixture to the boil and reduce to a simmer for about 60 minutes stirring occasionally.
8. At about the hour mark it should be a thick consistency and should hold as a mound on a spoon rather than drip right off.
9. Add to sterilised jars. They should keep for about a year unopened provided the jars are sterilised. Once opened use within a few weeks but follow your nose.